Marketing on social media can be an effective strategy for reaching your target audience, but getting started can be challenging when it comes to social media marketing for beginners.
Thankfully, there are a variety of excellent materials to help you gain new skills in social media. According to research reported on the HubSpot blog in 2021, the top two reasons for businesses to use social media marketing are to increase sales and brand awareness.
However, many companies struggle to create engaging content and convey it to their target market. Because social media plays such a crucial role in defining and achieving business goals, it is a key factor in the development of every form of social media marketing for beginners.
Let’s analyze the process more clearly to see how to continue. In terms of social media, here are some numbers:
- The typical adult in the United States spends 2.25 hours a day on social media.
- 70 percent of happy customers will tell their friends and family members about their strong social media experience with a brand. Every single month, Facebook users click on 12 ads.
- Instagram is used to research products and services by 81% of users. When they get a response to a tweet, nearly 80% of Twitter users have a more favorable impression of the brand. 4 out of 5
- LinkedIn operates as a business decision-making entity.
- About 46% of TikTok users only use the app.
What is social media marketing for beginners?
The goal of social media marketing is to increase brand awareness, sales, customer engagement, and shares about a company’s products and services among a particular audience.
A person’s social media account can be used for more than just posting pictures of their food and talking about their political views. People’s interactions with brands, businesses, and each other all rely on it. To be successful in the online world, you must utilize these tools to their full potential.
It involves understanding where your audience and customers are and how they connect socially with one another and your company. Social media marketing is ever-changing, as new features and platforms appear daily. Nevertheless, there are certain fundamentals to get you started.
Understanding your target demographic, their habits, and the social context in which they engage with your business are all essential to successful social media marketing. Your social media marketing beginners’ campaign’s success and how it helps your business grow (described below) will depend on the social media platform you choose, which in turn will depend on where the people you want to reach spend time online.
Before you dive into social media marketing as a beginner, it’s important to make sure you’ve properly categorized your audience. Segmenting your platform is a great way to make sure that your content and promotions reach as many people as possible.
The Platform Perfect Fit for Social Media Marketing for beginners
Facebook is one of the most popular ways to connect with other people online. Since its launch in 2004, it has become a very useful tool for businesses that sell directly to consumers (B2C). It has advanced tools for promotion and organic ways to grow your business.
Generation X and Millennials are both equally represented on Facebook, which has 1.9 billion daily active users around the world. Most likely, your target audience is made up of these two groups. It also lets you choose who you want to reach, so you don’t waste money on people who aren’t interested in what you have to offer.
If you’re just starting in business or want to make more people aware of your brand, Facebook is a great place to start advertising. You can listen to messages on the platform for free in several ways, such as through sponsored posts and videos, boosted posts, and ads. So you can try as many different ways as you like until you find one that works for you. And the company!
Tips for Marketers
- Post often and often enough. A good rule of thumb is to post at least once a day, but don’t post too much at once or you’ll overwhelm your followers.
- Give away something free, like an ebook or coupon code, that anyone who likes your page can use. This will show people what you have to offer and encourage them to like your page.
- Use videos, not just text or images, in your posts. Videos get more likes and comments on Facebook than any other type of content, so use them as much as you can.
- Use a headline that is interesting and will get people’s attention. You want them to read your post so they can see what you want them to do (CTA).
- Make sure you post at the right time for the people you want to reach. If you want to reach millennials, it might be best to only post on Facebook on the weekends, when they are more likely to be there. If you want to reach older people, you might want to only post when they are at work and more likely to be checking their newsfeeds.
If you asked me, I would say that TikTok is a great way to get in touch with young people. This group of people likes the platform, and it’s easy to use. It’s also a great way to get to know people on a more personal level.
We’ve found that the platform is a great way to market your products and services because it lets users communicate with each other in real time. That means they can respond directly to your company’s ad or post, which can have some truly impressive results.
Every month, over 1 billion people use TikTok.
18–24-year-olds spend an average of 60 minutes per day on the app.
It’s growing more quickly than any other social media site (1.6 percent daily growth rate).
Tips for Marketers
- Make sure you post in the right section. If you’re a clothing company, post in the “Clothing” section, not the “Influencer” section. Your content must be searchable!
- Hashtags should be used in your posts. This makes it easier for people to find your content and interact with it, but don’t use them too much (we recommend 2-3 max). And make sure they have something to do with your post, so people know what it’s about before they click on it!
- Post during peak hours. TikTok has different peaks at different times of the day, depending on how many people are online. We suggest looking at their statistics ahead of time and trying to post when their traffic is highest so that more people will see your content when they are online.
Instagram is a popular social media platform all over the globe. More than two billion people around the world use Instagram each month, making it one of the most widely used social media platforms ever. Visual content and content made by users are very important to the platform. It’s also a great place for businesses to put up their messages.
Instagram has been around for only 12 years, but it is very popular. The platform has built a strong community of users who love to share their photos and videos with people from all over the world.
Advanced e-commerce tools on Instagram make it easy for users to find products from their favorite brands, look through them at their own pace, and make purchases without ever leaving the app.
Because of this, Instagram is hard to beat when it comes to being the best platform in terms of visual appeal and user engagement.
- Data reporter says that there were 1.45 billion Instagram users around the world in April 2022.
- 433.6 million users between the ages of 18 and 24 (30.1% of all Instagram users who see ads)
- 51.9% of all Instagram users around the world are men.
Tips for Marketers
- Make sure that at least half of the things you post are unique. If all you do is share memes or other people’s content, it won’t look like you know what you’re talking about.
- Smartly use hashtags. If a post doesn’t get enough attention, take out the hashtag and try again later.
- Try using different kinds of photos and videos. When you try out different formats, you’ll find out what works best for your audience.
LinkedIn is like Facebook’s cousin for professionals. It is a platform for business-to-business (B2B) relationships, business development, and social selling, and it is used in every industry.
It has 774 million active users around the world, so there are lots of chances to connect with potential clients and business partners on LinkedIn. The key is to make sure your profile is set up well so you can connect with them in a meaningful way.
LinkedIn is a great place for B2B companies that want to find key decision-makers and build communities for their particular industry.
- LinkedIn has 310 million active users every month.
- 57 million company profiles
- Each day, the typical user spends 147 minutes online.
Tips for Marketers
- Don’t be afraid to talk about yourself! Show why people should care about what you’re doing.
- Use the “topics” feature to your advantage. You can use it to find people who will be interested in what you have to say and maybe even connect with them.
- Use the “Company” feature to find people who work at other companies that yours might want to work with, or even just to find opportunities to work together.
YouTube is the second most popular website in the world, and it’s also our favorite place to build a community.
- Every day, more than 315 million people around the world use YouTube.
- Most of the people who use YouTube are in their 20s and 30s, but people of all ages also use it.
- People stay on the site longer because there are so many long-form entertainment videos and how-to videos on this platform.
Tips for Marketers
- Frequently post! If you only post once a month, you can’t expect to get a lot of views.
- Make sure the content is relevant to your audience and interesting to them.
- Use hashtags and tags. This makes it easier for people to find your videos and makes it more likely that your target audience will find them.
- Don’t just talk about yourself; talk about what others have done.
After hearing the word “Pinterest,” what thoughts come to mind?
For a lot of people, the answer is probably a collage of pictures, some of which are inspiring and some of which are funny or strange. But that isn’t the whole story. To understand what Pinterest is all about, you need to know that more than 444 million people use it every month around the world.
That means that every single day, millions of people go to the site to find out about new products, get ideas from their favorite brands and artists, or even try out a new hobby. And it’s not just Millennials: Gen Zers (ages 13–18) make up 25 percent of their audience, while Gen Xers (ages 38–53) and Baby Boomers (ages 54+) make up another 25 percent.
So, how does this kind of platform work? Pinterest is an online pinboard where people can “pin” images from all over the web onto one virtual board. Users can look through these images by keyword or topic to get ideas for fashion, home decor, or even something fun to eat for dinner tonight. 85 percent of people who use Pinterest say they go there when they want to start a new project or find out more about something.
Starting to plan your social media marketing beginners strategy
We’re in the year 2023, and there’s more competition and content than ever. Because of this, it’s more important than ever to have a clear plan for marketing on social media. The good news is that right now is a great time to do it!
No matter what your 2023 goals are, you have to be able to say “no” to things that don’t help you reach them. So, we put together a full guide on how to start from scratch with a social media marketing plan. This guide has everything you need, whether you’re new to social media or just want to double-check your goals for 2023.
Set goals for your business that make sense. Spend time learning about the people you want to reach. Figure out your most important KPIs and metrics. Make and gather content that is interesting for social media. Try to be as current as possible on social media. Look at what’s working, what’s not, and how you can keep getting better. Add information from other departments.
Set goals for your business that make sense.
When we start working with a new client, this is the first question we ask.
Social marketing has two main goals: making people aware of a brand and getting them to take part in the community.
The most common goals for social media, according to the 2021 Sprout Social IndexTM, are to increase brand awareness (58%) and community engagement (41 percent). Whether you want to build a bigger following or a more active community, taking the time to define your social goals is the first step to achieving them.
Once you know what you want from your social media marketing, it’s time to plan! How much time and effort you need to put into your campaigns will depend on what your goals are.
1. Increase brand awareness
This means letting people know who you are. Don’t just send out ads if you want to create real, long-lasting brand awareness. Instead, spend most time and energy on content that shows who you are and what you care about.
2. get sales and leads.
Whether they find you online, in a store, or through your social profiles, your followers don’t buy from you by chance. For instance, do you know how to tell customers about new products and sales? Do you post a list of your products on your social profiles? Do you have special deals that your followers can only get?
Learn as much as you can about the people you want to reach.
Stop making assumptions about the people you want to reach and do a little more research.
Only 55% of marketers use social data to learn more about their target audience. This is a huge opportunity for both leaders and practitioners. A lot of the information you need about your audience to shape your social media marketing strategy is already out there. Just look in the right places.
Marketers can find out a lot about their audience quickly if they have the right tool. There’s no need to have a degree in market research or data science.
Don’t forget that different platforms attract different kinds of people.
There are many different social media platforms out there, and each one has its pros and cons. The trick is to choose the one that works best for your brand.
Take the people who use social media today as an example. These numbers tell you exactly which networks to use for your brand and what kind of content to share. Here are some important things to remember for your social media marketing strategy for 2023:
- Because their users earn a lot of money, Facebook and YouTube are both great places for ads.
- Instagram and YouTube are the most popular social networks among Millennials and Gen Z. This shows that bold, eye-catching content with a lot of personalities is popular.
- Pinterest has the highest average order value for social shoppers and has a lot more women than men.
- Since most LinkedIn users are educated, it’s a great place to find in-depth, industry-specific content that might be less common on Facebook or Twitter.
- Don’t try to do too much. Instead, focus on networks where your core audience is already active and make sure you post high-quality content there.
Ideas for content to market on social media as marketing beginners
Stories and posts that must be posted right away
The most common way to share the stories of your brand is through “stories,” and Instagram is the best place to do this. FOMO, or “fear of missing out,” can be used to make interactive and interesting story-style content.
By default, this content appears first in the feeds of your followers. This helps your brand’s account “skip lines” and keep people interested. The story is a great way to show followers what goes on behind the scenes and make social feeds feel more personal. Think about how you could use stories to tell about an event or take your audience on a trip without leaving the comfort of Grams.
Most people use social media to watch videos.
If you are just starting as a beginner in social media marketing then you should learn the power of short videos and which can lead to more revenue quickly than any other content type out there.
There are lots of videos in the social space. 54 percent of marketers say in a HubSpot report that video is the best type of content for social goals, and they have good reason to say this.
More than ever before, people who use social media spend a lot of time watching videos. Facebook and Instagram users don’t just watch videos. They also do it on Instagram Reels and TikTok.
This is because long- and short-form videos continue to be popular on all social media platforms. After all, they get a lot of engagement. These videos can be as simple as a short Vine or as complicated as a long series or documentary with many episodes.
Also, DIY and remote video production have come a long way, so you don’t need a big budget to make a good video. You only need a computer or phone and some tips from insiders.
Social media marketing beginners should posts that show off who they are
It’s time to show people you care.
When we (eventually) get out of COVID-19, the way you have been marketing on social media for beginners won’t work as well, but you can still use it to your advantage.
Your social media marketing strategy should be based on personal and friendly content. Don’t be afraid to remind the people who read your posts that they are written by real people.
Try to be as up-to-date as possible on social media marketing as beginners.
Marketers have trouble getting people to be on time these days. You should also always be “on” with your followers, even when you’re not posting anything new.
But your customers can’t always count on your watch to work. It’s hard to be on time when you don’t have enough resources or are working with a small group. Many businesses are on time with the right plan. This is crucial for all beginners in social media marketing
Posting when people are most likely to see it when you are marketing on social media as beginners
There are some great tools you can use to make sure your customers are online, but they are only as good as your ability to talk to them.
The trick is to ensure that you know where the conversation is taking place, then join in on social media platforms to achieve your company goals.
If your team doesn’t have a social media manager or a community manager, it’s hard to get help when you need it most. For example, you might find that the best time to post is late at night. But what’s the point of posting at a “good” time if your team isn’t online to talk?
When you tweet or post, make sure that the people in charge of your social media or community are available and willing to answer questions and address concerns about your products. Find out when the best times are for posting on social media. But just as important is what you do after you post.
You should answer your customers’ questions and shout-outs right away.
In the world we live in now, customers expect you to be open. 47% of customers say that good customer service is what makes a great brand on social media. When you respond to your customers, it shows that you care about them.
Work needs to be done to make sure that people don’t miss out on chances to talk and connect. It is now a priority to make sure that our customers can reach us in any way that they want.
This is why social customer service is so essential for brands that want more people to know about them. When someone does a good job, word spreads quickly. Companies shouldn’t disappoint their customers, whether they’re giving compliments or answering questions.
- Post often and often enough.
- TikTok is a great way to reach young people, in my opinion.
- Starting to plan your social media marketing strategy We’re in the year 2023, and there’s more competition and content than ever.
- Your social media marketing strategy should be based on personal and friendly content.
- People spend the majority of their time on social media and planning their day.
- Find out when the best times are for posting on social media.
- Follow all beginners’ tips about social media marketing to get success.
The tool we recommend for scheduling posts is – Promo Republic
Checkout our last blog post – How To Create Good Social Media Content